Wednesday, August 29, 2012

N.O.W. - Number of the Week

I've been trying to make some more centers and get creative with my computer skills! Therefore, I created a "Number of the Week" activity that could really be used for any grade with some editing.  I've realized that my class' number sense is weak as well as their basic math facts, which is why they are having difficulty with a lot of the function tables and rules that go along with them.

If they see the input number is 20 and the output number as 5, they are unable to figure out how they get from 20-->5.  When I look at it, I can easily see the rule being one of two things: subtract 15 or divide by 4. I was trying to think of a way I could practice this, without having a bunch of different activities to practice each skill individually.  Finally, I came up with the idea to do a "Number of the Week" which they could try on their own, and then on Friday, we could discuss it.  To give students more freedom with it, they could even choose the number.

 I feel like this will be a good way to challenge my higher level students as well as practice the fundamentals with my lower students by just giving each group a different number to use. I hope you find this freebie helpful! I'll let you know how it works as soon as I implement it into my own classroom. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I am your newest follower! Your blog looks great! I love the chevron!

    -Caitlyn
    Fourth Grade Lemonade

    ReplyDelete